From Bike Tasmania:
Hobart cycling advocate Kate Tamayo has been identified as the cyclist killed on Sunday after being struck from behind by a 63 year old male driver of a 1982 Landcruiser on Hobart's East Derwent Highway.
Kate was killed at about 2.30pm while riding north. The low winter sun would have been nearly directly in motorists eyes at that time/ direction, and this may have been a contributing factor. Although there are two lanes in each direction there is no sealed shoulder at that point on the road.
* Bicycle Tasmania treasurer for 6 years
* instigator of the very popular BikeWeek Tour de Femme event
* RACT board member
* Assistant Director, Budget Management Branch, Department of Treasury and Finance
* president and Public Officer for WomensSport Tasmania
* a tireless advocate for improved cycling conditions, and encouraging more women to get cycling in Tasmania
* member Sandy Bay Hash Harriers Club
Kate will be sadly missed by all that knew her. If you ride on our roads, please do yourself a favour and read this leaflet for tips on being assertive and being seen on our roads.